Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sundays are hard...

There are a few reasons why Sundays seem to be particularly difficult. First of all, Mason was born on a Sunday, so every Sunday that passes marks another week that he has been gone.  It's been 10 weeks. Sundays are also hard because of church, our ward is a very young ward, almost everyone has young children, and there are lots of little babies, it is a bitter reminder of what I am missing. Church is also hard because of the spirituality of it. No matter what subject is being taught, it all reminds me of Mason. Some feelings are happy, but it is still hard to to have to feel them.

Even though every Sunday in the past had been difficult,  I woke up this morning determined not to let this day drag me down. I used to love Sundays, and  I wanted to feel that way again. So I woke up, got dressed, got my family ready, put a smile on my face, and drove to church. We arrived ten minutes early which is a miracle for us. As we were walking in, a saw a family I didn't recognize, and I thought to myself, yay! a new family in the ward. It was only a matter of seconds before I realized it wasn't a new family, they were just visiting. Walking next to them was a sister in our ward, holding her little baby, all dressed in white. It was fast Sunday, babies are blessed on fast Sunday. Three babies were blessed in our ward today, it could have been four. I really wanted to be happy for the families, I did, but I was feeling a little left out. I wanted all of my family to be there with me just like the other families were there. I wanted my baby to be all dressed in white about to receive a blessing from his father. I sat there feeling especially sorry for myself as the tears rolled down my face. This was not the day I was expecting. It was probably one of the hardest days I have faced since we lost Mason. I am grateful I didn't realize what was going to happen at church today before we got there, because  I may have not gone, but as hard as it was,  it was something I needed to go through. It's times like that when I feel that the pain is more than I can bear, is when I feel my Heavenly Father's love for me the most. I felt the spirit so strongly, whispering to me that it was all going to be ok, and that my turn would come. I know I will get to enjoy all of these things with Mason some day. 

It was hard to not have our baby there to share his special blessing day with everyone, but a babies blessing is one thing we did get to experience with Mason. Shortly after I had him, while we were still in the hospital with many of our family and friends there, Craig gave Mason a name and a blessing.  It was the most beautiful blessing I have ever heard. I remember Craig standing right next to my bed holding Mason in his arms. He paused for a minute before he started the blessing, I imagine gathering his thoughts and receiving inspiration for the blessing.  It was in that moment that my testimony of the priesthood was strengthened so much. I knew Heavenly Father was guiding him to say the things he needed to say, and the spirit was so powerful in the room, it was the first time since we heard the awful news that I felt peace, and a small understanding. We often refer to Mason as "our little buddy," this blessing is where he was first called that. Craig kept calling him "our little buddy," so that is really special to us. This blessing is very personal so I won't share too much of it, but  I do remember Craig telling Mason to go about his father's business, and to not worry about us, and to know that we will be doing everything we can to make sure we make it back to live with him so we could all be together as a family. He told Mason how much he was loved by his family. He is. I cannot wait for the day when I get to tell him that myself, but until then you better believe I will be doing everything possible to live worthy so we can all be together again.

9 comments:

  1. Once again, thank you for sharing. I wish I had words that could take your heartache away. Always praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will NEVER forget that Father's blessing. It was so powerful and the spirit was strong. Craig brought a peace to that room that I have never felt before. We love Mason so much and know that you will get your chance to tell him face to face how much you love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful post Heidi! What a sweet picture of you surrounded by family. Thinking of you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are writing all this down!! We still think about y'all often and pray for you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. heidi,
    i know we don't {know} each other super well...but i found this blog & just had to tell you that my heart is with you, girl. looking at these pictures & reading through your story- i just want to ease your pain & cry for you. what a hard thing, that you are handling with such grace & wisdom. my prayers are with your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, thanks for sharing and your bluntness in your last post. It is so easy to forget how precious life really is each day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Heidi, my heart goes out to you. I was thinking of you on Sunday and wishing you didn't have to feel what I guessed you were feeling. Thank you for sharing all the amazing pictures and your experiences. It helps me to remember to count my blessings, complain less and squeeze my kids more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to tell you how much I admire you for starting this blog. I think that you have a lot of courage to put these painful things out there, and I admire you for your honesty and letting us read it. Your little guy must be a very special man for him to have completed his mission here on earth by receiveing his body, and You and Craig should realize that you are amazing if Heavenly Father has entrusted you to be his parents and entrust you to go through this and be strengthened by it. I truly do admire you, and I look back and feel sorry that I did not get to know you better while we were in Arizona.
    Thank you for this blog. You are a strong and beautiful woman inside and out, and I am grateful for you and your amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending you love xoxo....I think this blog is a wonderful idea, a great way to heal, and hopefully help someone else too.

    ReplyDelete